Official contest rules
1. The Prizes. The four (4) or five (5) winners of the For Great Thinking contest ("the Contest") will have a portrait painted based upon a photograph from the winner in the Contest ("Nominee") painted by Marco Ventura, a renowned artist living in Milan. The paintings will remain the property of the artist, but the winners will receive a high quality print rendition for themselves.
The For Great Thinking winners will be profiled and promoted (i) on Elsevier’s For Great Thinking website and any related Elsevier ScienceDirect online and offline marketing campaigns until December 2009 (ii) in promotional material such as posters, (online, print and marketing collateral) which may be used for public distribution at international conferences, fairs and exhibitions, public institutions such as universities, libraries, and public forums to promote Elsevier’s ScienceDirect.
No purchase is necessary to enter or win; purchase does not improve chances of winning.
No cash prizes are available. All taxes (including, without limitation federal, state and local sales, use and/or income taxes) on or connected with prizes are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the respective winners.
2. Selection of Winners. A single winner from each scientific category will be chosen based upon the highest number of eligible on line votes awarded by visitors of the Forgreatthinking.com website in each of the four (4) individual subject categories. An additional winner may also be chosen and have a portrait painted based upon one or more of the following criteria (to be determined by Elsevier ScienceDirect staff:
i) he/she has a significantly large number of votes, with an outstanding and overwhelming vote tally;
ii) in the case of a tie, two winners can be declared in one subject category;
iii) a significant contribution made to science but which is still in early stages of development
The online profiles of the Nominees will be based upon information including photographs approved by the Nominees, as well as such additional information, quotes and/or photographs which Nominees may provide to Elsevier in response to Elsevier's request. If selected as a winner, the Nominee consents and agrees to allow Elsevier to post the above information on the Contest Site and related Elsevier sites, with full knowledge and understanding that such information will be available for viewing by visitors to the Contest Site and related Elsevier sites.
Elsevier's selection of Winners is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
3. Nominee Warranties and Consents. By completing and submitting the Contest Entry Form each Nominee: (a) warrants and represents that he/she has read and agrees to be bound by these Contest Rules; (b) warrants and represents that he/she is eligible under these Contest Rules to participate in the Contest; (c) warrants and represents that all of the information provided for the website is accurate, does not violate any third party's legal rights (including without limitation, right of privacy), and otherwise does not violate any applicable law; (d) consents to the use of his/her name and/or likeness and the information contained in his/her profile by Elsevier (whether in print, online or in any other media now known or hereafter developed), without further notice or additional compensation, (e) acknowledges, understands and agrees that Elsevier are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the online voting.
4. Elsevier Rights. Elsevier reserves the right, in its sole discretion and without liability, therefore:
(a) to make all decisions concerning eligibility, which decisions shall be final and binding;
(b) to disqualify any Nominee, whom it determines (i) to be ineligible, (ii) to have submitted inaccurate information, (iii) to have been responsible for tampering with any aspect of the Contest, or (iv) to have otherwise violated the Contest Rules or applicable law; and
(c) to suspend, cancel or modify the Contest at any time if a virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security or functionality of the Contest or of the Contest Site or if the Contest process cannot be completed as planned for any reason whatsoever.
5. Liability. By participating in the Contest, the Nominee acknowledges, understands and agrees:
(a) that Elsevier, its parent, subsidiary or affiliate companies, its employees, advertising or promotional agencies and other authorized representatives are not responsible for, and shall not be liable for (i) submissions that contain incorrect or inaccurate information or do not comply with these rules, (ii) submissions, prize claims or notifications that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient, in whole or in part, due to computer or technical error of any kind, or (iii) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or (iv) any damages or losses of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from participation in the contest or acceptance, possession or use of any prize or (v) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest.. Elsevier, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the submission process or the operation of this Web site or otherwise violating these rules or any applicable law. Elsevier further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Contest if the contest cannot be completed as planned because of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort.
(b) that the prizes are being provided "as is" and without any express or implied warranties, including without limitation implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
(c) that the he/she indemnifies and holds harmless Elsevier, its parent, subsidiary or affiliate companies, its employees, advertising or promotional agencies and other authorized representatives from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind, resulting from, or related in any manner to, the Contest or a winner's acceptance, possession, or use of any of the Prizes, including without limitation personal injury, death, property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, and invasion of privacy.
5. Governing Law
The Contest is subject to the laws of the Netherlands.
6. Contest Contact Information:
Radarweg 29, 1043 NX Amsterdam, the Netherlands